DANUBE and RHINE BLOG 01
Sunday May 26, 2013
YEEHAA! We’re in countdown mode now – ticking off the final few hours before our group meets at the airport tomorrow morning with hearts-a-flutter, bags all packed, and passports clutched in hot little hands!
Some “MIDLIFE MADNESS” – that’s what we’ve got planned. It’ll start in Singapore … then continue in Amsterdam, Holland, where our shiny new ship, the Amadeus Princess, will be waiting to take us on a showcase cruise along Europe’s great rivers.
We’ll be gliding through Holland, Germany, Austria, Slovakia and Hungary … past wide-open spaces, quaint villages, proud castles, impressive cathedrals … right into the throbbing hearts of some truly dazzling cities. We’ll be going ashore every day … packing in as much sightseeing as possible … with heaps of time in-between to kick back, relax and have fun.
As we’ve said all along, we’re gonna have a BALL!
It’s hard to know where to start – because they’ll just keep coming, day after day, night after night, highlight after highlight. But here’s what our itinerary includes …
- magical, old, scarred, soothing Amsterdam (Holland) with its canals, bikes and ever-present windmills
- Cologne (Germany) with its 14th-century lacy-spired Cathedral, a World Heritage Site
- 2000-year-old Koblenz, on the confluence of the Rhine and Moselle rivers
- the terraced vineyards, narrow streets and wine taverns of Ruedesheim
- Miltenberg, with its half-gables terraced houses … and charming Wertheim with its 12th-century castle and Pointed Tower
- the famous Residenz (baroque palace) of Wuerzburg, with its frescoes and great marble staircase
- medieval Bamberg, with its orchestra and local specialty: ‘smoke beer’
- the Bavarian city of Nuremberg, filled with Gothic churches, watchtowers and gateways
- picturesque Regensburg, most ancient city on the Danube, with its 12th-century Old Stone Bridge and Porta Pretoria
- enchanting Passau with its coloured houses, arcades and Europe’s largest pipe organ
- stunning Melk (Austria) in the Wachau Valley, home to a 900-year-old abbey … and Duernstein, with its magnificent Stiftkirche and castle
- Vienna, one-time centre of the Hapsburgs and classical music (Strauss, Beethoven, Mozart), with its awe-inspiring Opera House and cathedral
- lovingly restored Bratislava (Slovakia), with its centuries-old squares and enormous castle
- ‘Paris of the East’, Budapest (Hungary), straddling the Danube with its Chain Bridge
And, if that’s not enough, some of us will continue from there on a 7-day coach-tour to glorious golden Prague (Czech Republic) … with stops en route at Brno, Ceske Budejovich, Salzburg, Oberammergau, Heidelberg & Frankfurt.
Anyway, it’s late! And we’ve still got stuff lying all over the house that’s somehow gotta be jammed into our suitcases – HELP!
So it’s goodnight from her – and it’s goodnight from me!
Yours bloggedly – JOHN
P.S I’ll add some fresh entries once this adventure’s actually underway – and I’ll include some award-winning pix. So stay tuned …