GHAN BLOG 01
Sunday June 14, 2015
Yeehaa! It’s happening at last! Three more sleeps and we’re off on a legendary journey-by-rail through the untamed Never-Never, in the sunburnt heart of AUSTRALIA! We’ll be travelling from Adelaide to Darwin (south to north) on one of the world’s most stylish, luxury trains. And along the way, between here are there, we’ve got heaps of adventuring to do.
Here are some of the FAIR DINKUM GREAT AUSSIE MOMENTS that await us:
- Adelaide: city tour, including Mt Lofty lookout for panoramic views, Adelaide Market for eating & shopping
- Hahndorf: German-settled village, for arts & crafts outlets, galleries, boutiques, cafes & Hans Heysen’s studio
- Barossa Vineyards: famous wine estates & outstanding wines, plus Maggie Beer’s Farm Shop for foodie-delights
- Clare Valley: Mintaro & Burra historic villages, Martindale Hall Museum, and some more yummy wine-tasting
- Alice Springs: Royal Flying Doctor’s base, School of the Air, Reptile Centre, Telegraph Station, ANZAC Hill
- Kings Canyon: West MacDonnell Ranges, Watarrka National Park, canyon walk, Outback Sunset BBQ
- Uluru (Ayers Rock): Kata Tjuta, Walpa Gorge, Mutitjulu Waterhole (Python Dreaming legend), Mala Walk
- Katherine Gorge: gateway to Nitmiluk National Park, natural wonders, and 25 million-year-old canyons
- Darwin: city tour followed by the Jumping Crocodile Cruise, Window on the Wetlands, Mindi Beach Markets
- Kakadu National Park: Aboriginal-guided wildlife cruise, ancient rock art, Yellow River Billabong, prolific birdlife
- Arnhem Land: stunning wetland views, plus guided cruise on the East Alligator River, Bowali Visitors Centre
Anyway, Robyn and I haven’t started packing yet. And we’ve gotta remember our togs and hats and sunscreen! Goodbye wind and the rain and wintry cold – we’re outa here, in search of some Outback sunshine!
Talk to ya, later!
Yours bloggedly – JOHN
P.S. If you want to receive future Mad Midlife Travel Blogs in your INBOX, just sign-up (top-right) for your free Email Subscription! And if you’d like to leave a message for someone in our group, just click on the little speech bubble at the top of this entry, and add your comments! (Make sure you say who it’s for and who it’s from – and keep it brief.)